Last SeptemberÃ‚Â I had a fabulous day at the Institute of Directors in London. I was invited to be one on the Product of the Year 2015 judgesÃ‚Â again. You could have seen me mentioning this event last year, and then celebrating the winning products in January 2014.
This is where me and the rest of the panel shortlisted the products which had been submitted for the awards, to decide which go to the public vote to win the categories. We tried, tasted and tested all of the products Ã¢â‚¬â€œ it was a fun day indeed!
I cannotÃ‚Â reveal what products or brands we were testing, butÃ‚Â one thing i can reveal is that there were quite a few I will be crossing my fingers for!
Product of the year at a glance:
- Established 26 years ago in France
- Currently in 39 countries around the world and growing
- Is an award for FMCG innovation including product function, design and packaging
- Product of the Year is the UK’s largest independent survey into products innovation with more than 10,000 consumers voting in a survey conducted by TNS. Winning manufactures can take heart that 86% of consumers say the endorsement of the Product of the Year logo makes them more likely to buy the product, and as many as 64% of consumers recognise the logo.
Product of the year’s marks 10th anniversary with forecasts for the future of product innovation
- New breed of low and “zero calorie” foods to help shoppers manage their waistlines
- Household products of the future could interact seamlessly with fridges and other devices
- Products likely to be targeted at growing number of male “househusbands”
- New easy-grip packaging with larger writing to cater for aging UK population
Notable Product of the Year winners over the past 10 years:
- Top Down Heinz Tomato Ketchup
- Nuromol which combines Ibuprofen and Paracetomol
- Kenco Eco Refill
- McCain Ready Baked Jackets
- Gillette Fusion Proglide Styler
What we can expect in the next 10 Years:
- Easy-grip, spring-loaded products for elderly
- Juice carton packaging which alerts fridge when out of date
- 100% Bio-degradable mascara packaging
- Cleaning products designed to appeal to men
- Zero calorie foods